For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Chateau Barde-Haut
   
         
   
         
   
PEOPLE   -   FACES   -   CHÂTEAU BARDE-HAUT   -   CLOS L’EGLISE   -   POESIA   -   CHÂTEAU D'ARCE   -   BODEGA POESIA ENCN
"Being part of the aristocracy of Pomerol grands crus cannot be decreed. It is part of a logic and a history.
This is what Clos L’Eglise testifies to."
HISTORY
Taking a recent date, scarcely three quarters of a century ago, in 1925, Savinien Giraud, owner of Trotanoy and President of the Syndicat Viticole et Agricole de Pomerol, addressed a “classification” of Pomerol “grands crus” to the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce. Clos L’Eglise was part of the “leading group”, (with l’Evangile, la Conseillante and Vieux Château Certan). This allows us to date the fame of Clos L’Eglise and the standing it enjoyed among its peers, members of the Syndicat.

In the 18th century, Clos L’Eglise with its 14 ha was a very large estate for Pomerol, ahead of a dozen Crus which formed and still form “the heart of Pomerol”. The history of Clos L’Eglise is linked to that of the vineyards “à Clinet”, a name that designates both place and ownership.

The vineyard map by the engineer Belleyme indicated in 1764 that the strongest vineyard holding starts from la Conseillante and by Petit-Village widens to Trop Ennuie (Trotanoy) and Clinet.

Later, the property was named Clos L’Eglise and, with divisions on inheritance, the estate was split in two, with the original estate, Clos L’Eglise (Rouchut family) on one side and Clos L’Eglise-Clinet (Mauléon family) on the other. There is, therefore, a centuries-old continuity of viticulture at Clos L’Eglise

B. Henri-Enjalbert - Les Grands Bordeaux

It was in 1997 that the Garcin-Cathiard family acquired the property.
At the mere mention of its name, this garden-like terroir inspires grandeur.
THE TERROIR
At the mere mention of its name, this garden-like terroir inspires grandeur.
Clos l’Eglise is situated at the break in the Pomerol plateau, which is the origin of the most remarkable wines of the appellation. Nature is at work here and, given the right conditions, promises to express a masterpiece among masterpieces.

At Clos l’Eglise, the 5.90 hectares of Merlot and Cabernet Franc flourish on clay-gravel soils presenting slopes of iron-rich soil that give the wine its unique character. A place apart where things are done gently, a clear conversation between man and terroir. A jewel of nature.
Hélène Garcin and Patrice Levêque cultivate this exceptional heritage today. The vision of this enthusiastic couple has allowed Clos l’Eglise to gradually regain the place it had a century ago, at the peak of the appellation.

Their fascination for exceptional terroirs and their willingness to support them in giving the best they have to offer, here find the perfect opportunity to transcend themselves.
This is why the work is done in a traditional way because, if fine terroir comes by chance, its rarity makes it a responsibility.
THE WINE
It is an incredible charmer, evoking immediate pleasure and certain seduction. When it reveals its elegance, its roundness, its opulence it pays tribute to its origins, rare and inimitable. Clos l’Eglise is a philanthropist who leaves behind, on meeting, the persistent memory of a tender emotion.
A.O.C. Pomerol
Clos l'Eglise 25 000 bottles
Surface of production 5,89 ha
Soil Clay and Gravel
Subsoil Trace of iron concretion
Grape varieties 78% Merlot - 22% Cabernet Franc
Soil culture Organic and sustainable
Harvest Hand picked
Fermenting vats 55 hl stainless steel
Barrels & Ageing 100% new french oak barrels for 18-24 months
Register
   
First name *
Last name *
   
E-mail *
Confirm E-mail *
   
Password *
Confirm password *
   
Company
Function
   
Mobile   
Phone   
   
Address
Postal Code
City
Country